The hip-hop industry is getting larger than life. Or maybe that’s just too much.
Whatever! Hip-hop is still one of top earning genres in the music industry. And with so many artists coming from everywhere in the world, their earnings are defining who the man really is.
Ever wonder who gets the biggest bucks in the industry this year?
Here is the list of the top 5 hip-hop stars who are filthy rich and with hefty money in the bank.
- Diddy – $735 M – A controlling stake in clothing lines Sean John and Enyce, alkaline water brand Aquahydrate, new tequila DeLeon and multimedia network Revolt (a sort of next generation MTV with a renewed focus on music), and now a deal with Diageo’s Ciroc vodka that would guarantee him split of the proceeds— no wonder Diddy is on the top spot.
- Dr. Dre – $700 M – Dr. Dre’s Beats sale got him the largest single-year payday of any musician in history. However, Dr. Dre was not on the top because of a nine-figure tax bill he has.
- Jay Z – $550 M – Jay Z purchased and relaunched Scandinavian streaming service Tidal this year. This he did with promises of creating an artist-owned Spotify competitor set apart by exclusive content.
- 50 Cent – $155 M – His 2008 Vitaminwater scored $100 million on the sale. 50 Cent hopes to make it again with stakes in new ventures including SMS headphones, Effen vodka and Frigo underwear. The Frigo underwear is a joint venture with baseball legend Derek Jeter, NBA star Carmelo Anthony and Mathias Ingvarsson, founder of NASA science-backed mattress purveyor Tempur-Pedic. 50 Cents is still in the game.
- Birdman – $150 M – Birdman’s total dipped slightly due to the underlying issue surrounding Cash Money Records which has been affected by the departure of Lil Wayne and some artists under his wing. Thus, Birdman landed on the 5th spot.